Neuropathic pain: identification and management in primary care
Associate Professor Raymond Garrick, FRACP, FFPMANZCA
Associate Professor Raymond Garrick, University of Notre Dame Medical School, Sydney, NSW
Neurologist, St Vincent's Hospital and Clinic, NSW.
Professor Robert Helme, FRACP, FFPMANZCA
Neurologist, The Epworth Hospital, Richmond, Vic.
University of Melbourne, Vic
Sue Markham, BAppSci, NSW.
Raquel Newman BVSc, MANZCVSc (emergency and critical care) Vic.
On completing this activity participants should be able to:
- Identify neuropathic pain using a systematic assessment.
- Distinguish neuropathic pain from nociceptive pain.
- Describe a rational choice of investigations in the diagnostic process.
- Describe pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies based on current evidence.
- Outline treatment plans that address common comorbidities.
- Describe when referral is indicated.
Use a systematic assessment approach to diagnose neuropathic pain, including how to distinguish between neuropathic and nociceptive pain. Develop treatment plans to address common comorbidities, together with a rational choice of investigations in the diagnostic process, knowing when referral is indicated. $35.00 + GST