Module 2: The impact and management of psychological factors in pain
Dr Newman Harris, FRANZCP, FFPMANZCA
Clinical Senior Lecturer, Pain Management and Research Institute, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, NSW.
Professor Michael Nicholas, FFPMANZCA
Director, ADAPT Pain Management Program, Pain Management and Research Centre, Royal North Shore Hospital, NSW.
Professor, Northern Clinical School, Kolling Institute of Medical Research, University of Sydney, Royal North Shore Hospital, NSW.
Sue Markham, BAppSci, NSW
Raquel Newman BVSc, MANZCVSc (emergency and critical care) Vic
On completing this activity participants should be able to:
- Determine the presence of psychological comorbidities in patients with persistent pain.
- Identify the role of pharmacological and non-pharmacological therapies for patients with psychosocial symptoms and persistent pain.
- Recognise patients at heightened risk of progression to long-term distress and disability.
- Summarise red and yellow flags.
- Consider a management plan for a patient with persistent pain and psychosocial comorbidities.